September 17, 2020
The POA Board met last Saturday, September 12th, at its regular meeting and passed several measures related to our island ferry policy. Here is a summary of those actions.
New Passenger Limits due to COVID-19 on the Breeze and the Islander:
At the recommendation of the Port Captain and Interim General Manager, the Board adopted new passenger capacity limits for both ferries while the risk of infection remains. The maximum number of passengers on the Breeze is increased from 3 to 6, which we believe safely enables more utilization of that vessel, and the passenger capacity limit on the Islander from 20 to 25.
Please note: Facial protection will continue to be required on both ferries at all times.
As a side note, the Coast Guard has not placed any restrictions on inspected vessels due to COVID-19, and the passenger capacity in normal times for the Breeze is 16 and for the Islander, 49.
Ferry Pricing and the Annual Ferry Pass Plan for next year:
The per ride charge for ferry trips in the new fiscal year beginning October 1st will be $8.00, representing no change from the current year.
The POA Board also approved the following Annual Ferry Pass Plan for FY 21 available to all owned properties in good standing:
- All lot owners will be entitled to 100 free rides per lot which will include ridership for their family aswell as their guests. Thereafter, the per ride charge per passenger will be $8.00.
- Home owners will be entitled to purchase an annual pass for $5,000 which will include ridership fortheir family as well as guests and contractors associated with their lot, but not intended to include guests for large special events such as weddings. (Contractors include cleaners, landscape maintenance, mechanical repair,).
- Owners with lots under development (or under major renovation requiring a CO) will be entitled topurchase an annual pass for $10,000 specifically for construction workers associated with their
Please also note the following:
- The annual pass option plan is available to owners under the condition that participation for the annual pass plan generates a minimum revenue of $80,000.
- The Annual Pass is transferable on the sale of property.
- The annual ferry pass option is available to all owners in good standing and will be revoked if the owner is not in good.
The following people will continue to ride the ferry at no charge:
- POA employees
- Children under 3
- Students who live on the island full time (and one accompanying adult for children under 16) on regularly scheduled school days
- Real estate prospects viewing a specific property and their accompanying Agent
- Contractors, consultants, and guests of the POA
- Federal, state and local government employees and/or their agents coming to the island on oﬃcial business
Please reach out to board members if you have any other questions, and let Catherine know as soon as possible if you are interested in an annual pass for your developed lot or lot that is under construction. If we do not receive a minimum commitment of $80,000 in revenue from our community members with annual pass sign ups, all passengers are subject to the $8.00 per person per ride fee.
Your POA Board