The Social Committee is delighted to bring you an Afternoon of Antarctica! Stephanie Holmgren and her husband Andy visited the “deep” south in Dec 2016. Christie Drew works with Stephanie at the National Institutes of Health and when she saw the presentation, she thought it would be of great interest to Deweesians.
Stephanie will share personal photos and videos of penguins, icebergs, seals, and even a volcano. She often says Antarctica is full of “-tions”: You will hear highlights on the:
- Glaciation and volcanology of the crystal desert continent
- Habitation and adaptation of the fauna: 5 species of seal, 6 species of penguin, and a handful of other birds
- Conservation efforts on South Georgia island
- Saga of Sir Ernest Shackleton’s Endurance expedition
- Contributions of citizen science to Antarctic research
- Life and motion on the ship
So join us at the Huyler House us from 2:30pm-4:30pm on Saturday April 6!